Sunday 15 January 2012

Back to earth

We started at a run (yes we were late no surprise there then) but we soon were on level pegging having arrived at the Prancing Pony to be met at the door by Mr Potato himself  birthday wishes were exchanged and a couple little ones were soon imbibed and a cheeky little parlour game as we counted down to kick off, Cookie wasn't happy but we found all the booby traps and IED's (improvised explosive devices)  G thought that by giving 85 as the answer would be witty he did  indeed get a few points at the right time and wasn't too shabby at all (hidden depths indeed) we got suited and booted (I'm so glad I listened to the wife because I wasn't going to take a coat) and set off at a nice pace, even I could keep up, we got to the first bar (The Ocean Lounge if your that interested) I won't mention the break dancing competition that E tried to instigate as we entered the pub but it was a valiant effort,the birthday girl chose what she wanted and we marshalled the drinks and grabbed a corner and much fun and frivolity was started, lots of people and just a little drink G soon spotted a pair of boots he wanted to try on but the night was going to be a failure on that score the lady in question was able to keep her boots on and G only sulked a little as he did in fact manage later on in the evening manage to kidnap her handbag and reluctantly give it back on pain of punishment off the birthday girl!

We soon decided to move to another venue, as it happens The Woody and we all actually managed to get there in a fairly orderly manner (for us)all the while making cunning plans and cruel observations (oops that was just me) we arrived got served (see G we knew you would be fine with us it's that SMOR that keeps getting you into trouble) And Commander Curtis got his troops in a V formation and we assailed the heights joined a few tables together and the fun really started much fun and frivolity of the type that is great at the time but doesn't always make much sense in the cold light of day (the best type as far as I'm concerned) we did get loud (oops no again that was me again) trying to dislodge a few enemy troops but they stuck to their guns and dug in deep (good for them) although (yes I was people watching again) there was a beautiful couple who weren't sure what to make of us all and while the other half went off to the gents the female of the pair proceeded to apply so many coats of make up to her face she went from a size 4 head to a 12 bless well me and E chuckled (oh how cruel we were) the night progressed and then the staff tried to evict us (do they not know who the hell we are) and the party parted and headed to our respective base camps and as we threaded through the freaks lining the streets with high heels and no clothes I realised how happy I was to be an old person with sensible shoes and a coat, SMOR was called why I hear you ask well because we can and he would do it to us,we headed to the usual haunt for food me and the wife just got some chips but the wife's were sprinkled with angel dust because she dreamt of John Travolta dancing in G & E's new drive way (no really please don't ask) mine were sprinkled with sleeping powder (more on that in a bit) and G as usual ordered his 43 tons of chicken wings and we soon headed back to the Prancing pony fully fed I was soon being pulled by that tractor beam called sleepy time but a cunning plan was being formed for dinner (I was already hungry yum yum) and yes you guessed I slept like a log....Tee Hee!

We arose this morning and made no mention of G's quiff (it would have been rather impolite) had a swift cup of tea and the boys wandered off to see how the rest of the boys were spending their time as Mr Curtis was going to be ripping his beloved beetle to bits, so we headed in the (a northerly direction) right direction but G hadn't actually been to the Garage before so we did a Billy Connolly and stopped to listen for the sound of a grinder, we were soon on the right track and found the boys and their toys (from a health and safety perspective a ghastly nightmare) and it brought many happy memories flooding back  of times spent in Athey's Dad's garage fixing up old bangers the sights and smells so familiar (I still love the smell of grinding yes I know how sad I am) me and G knew we were on a tight timetable and knew we had to keep the ladies happy and though we weren't dressed to lend a hand (we were keen) we would have jumped in and lent a hand even though there were a few brass monkeys wandering in the lane looking for a welder(and lets not mention the fire extinguisher OK), we arrived back in plenty of time for G to make himself beautiful and we headed to The Mile for dinner and it was as lovely as it had been described and we had to be prised out of our booth and we all waddled downstairs to enjoy the Newcastle football match.

We soon had to say our goodbyes and head back to the land that is drudgery with all the unhappy inhabitants that live there whose sole purpose seems to be the intention of making us unhappy (trust me they do they really do) but armed with the cunning plans from the previous evening hopefully their ammunition will just bounce right off and I know we have some really fancy footwork to do before we are any way complete (this is the ultimate cunning plan)we are moving forward and heading towards the supernova that is the one thing that is going to get me through the next 6 or so weeks, I now prepare to head to work tomorrow (and deal with the stupid people) listening to the Charlotte Yanni Debut CD Accidentally On Purpose a really good listen and a local artist that I wholly recommend for some good old fashioned (as in class) songs that tell a tale well played and sung in a refreshing style (I hope the cheque is in the post soon Charlotte) hopefully sleep will dent the trepidation for the coming days I know that there is far too much work to contemplate but needs must so until the next time (and it won't be tomorrow unless I do indeed go on a killing spree) I look forward to the next weekend for good times with good friends and no false prophets I probably got that bit wrong it's an age thing can anybody tell me if it's the weekend yet until the next time Toodles!

No comments:

Post a Comment