Sunday 8 April 2018

Bad medicine


How the devil are you? No blog in over five days, no I hadn’t won the lottery, I had pushed myself a little too hard on the writing front and I nearly pushed myself the wrong way, writing is supposed to help me (trust me it does) but I had nearly overdosed the reading public and numbers were starting to fall off, reader apathy is the last thing that I require. So here goes let’s see if I still know how to do this thing we call blogging (blogging I said not dogging, good grief you are all sick puppies), this particular one is one that has been gestating over the last couple of weeks, I think I just need to get it out there.

Ok so my health is decidedly shit and although I have tried to follow the medical advice I have received, it doesn’t always seem to do the right thing, lets go back to the beginning about 15 years ago, I suddenly started to pile the weight on and I was always warm to the touch, off to the quacks I went and a large number of tests were diagnosed, some very expensive tests and lots of blood work, several diagnosis’s and some medication was prescribed, my condition however did not get any better and still the weight crept on like some kind of tidal monster.

We moved back to Gimpsville, different Dr’s different tests and more medication no further forward, I was diagnosed with high blood pressure and basically was told I was a fat bastard and a liar, you can imagine how well that went down, not much help, not much sympathy and basically a war of attrition was started between me and the medical profession, my mental health at this point was also starting to suffer, not in a huge way, but if you have read my blogs you know that it doesn’t need to be much to set the boulders rolling down hill! Some deception on the behalf of my wife got me in to see a sympathetic Dr, who explained the situation in a more sympathetic way, which in itself made me more user friendly and I agreed to collaborate to see what was actually wrong, at this point I was over 21 stone and depressed, very depressed.

I started to attend the wellmans clinic for the over 40’s I wasn’t really getting anything out of it, but I was on my last warning with both my wife and the medical profession, I did what I was told, I was worried and would have tried anything at this point, I was asked for a blood test, to which I dutifully turned up offered my arm and they took what the needed, I then received a letter that stated it was abnormal, so they required another, appointment arranged and arm once more offered, another armful and then yet another letter, Abnormal with a capital A, the day that letter arrived I had a wellmans clinic appointment, so I took the letter with me, I thought I might as well ask, shy bairn’s and all that, well I was the last appointment, I got there the  usual fifteen minutes early, the nurse carrying out the clinic appeared to be a little stressed and was over the moon that I was early so we sat there and did all the things that we would normally do, at the end I was asked if I had any questions, so I offered up my letter and asked if I had anything to worry about?

This was nothing to worry about she would simply have a look at my records, now she was interested, lost in a myriad of blood tests over the previous 12 years, “I think that you are a diabetic! Hang on I need to get a Dr to confirm this” off she wandered like a medical Columbo, she returned with said Dr and together they poured over my results and it was agreed that they thought that I was indeed diabetic, at this juncture the nurse was just a tad annoyed as she reeled off the tests that they had done, all for nothing, one actually cost over £700 to conduct, boy was she steamed at this one, a simple test costing around £13 would have told them what they wanted, to cut a very long appointment short I was given medication for diabetes and told to return within the month.

Now I have to say I didn’t have any of the usual symptom’s of diabetes, the thirst and such like, but the problems started when I started to take the medication prescribed, damn do I have a thirst now, lethargic (no not lazy) generally wiped out, just not well at all, I returned as directed and told the Dr I was going to stop taking the medication as it had just made me feel a thousands times worse, I was instructed to double my dose, this would solve those issues, well they kind of did, but not that much, my blood sugar count that should be 50 – 55 was 96, now some of the awful truth was starting finally show its hand.

A fatty liver was also diagnosed, my feet were stabbed on a regular basis as were my eyes injected with strange drugs that made me look I had taken copious amounts of acid (yeah baby) my eyesight has gotten worse in the years since I was diagnosed, my weight has started to fall, slowly, but all in the right direction, my blood sugar hasn’t I’m now in triple figures, so now to the last lines of defence, I am trying a new medication, that will hopefully slow my pancreas down, if that doesn’t work it will be insulin, the side effects are a little off putting, however it will be something that I will put up with if it does the trick, I actually overdosed myself within the first 24 hours , I wont be making that mistake again, a nice  little dry heave and my breakfast at the side of the road, I’m so glad I wasn’t on the bus that day.

So here I go I eat very little, four square meals and no snacking, as for alcohol its almost none existent and some days my medications conspire against me and turn me in to ten pounds of hammered shit in a five-pound bag, yeah that good. Do I feel better, I’m going to be honest?  Hell no, occasionally I have a bright day but they are few and far between, I take each day as it goes, however I do feel pleased at least they know what it is, so at least we are on the right track, my main goal is to keep losing the weight (slowly is the trick) I don’t expect to get down to eleven stone anytime soon, but I believe you need to have a target and that’s mine! There are other things that are wrong, my mental health for one, which is better than it has been in the last 35 years, still a work in progress (watch this space) my knees are crippled, again the weight lose will help when it gets down to an acceptable figure, my strange allergic reaction where I simply want to peel all the skin off my body that has sprung up out of nowhere, well it appeared after I was diagnosed and prescribed my medication for my diabetes, a coincidence probably, I will let you decide that one! I shall continue to try and steer this leaky boat to a safe harbour!

This particular blog has been gestating for a while I thought I had better regurgitate it, just so that it was out there, out in to the brightness of the spring day that is upon us, normal service is resumed, keep spreading my disease, watch the skies, incoming until the next time…….Toodles!

No comments:

Post a Comment