Sunday, 6 September 2026

Four on the Floor – 1982.

 There were so many albums that were released in this year that I thought I would struggle to pick four, but I did quite easily, now don’t get your knickers in a twist, this is my choice, you will have your choice, if you do start your own blog, you might simply enjoy writing about it, you might also get a large amount of abuse for your choices, don’t say I didn’t warn you if you do!


Tygers of Pan Tang – The Cage. 8/10.

Quite a swerve from previous albums they went all polished and added keyboards and tried to go a little bit like Queen, it nearly died a death as the band had a full album of material already written with John Sykes (the demo’s are out there) one track survives the cover Love Potion no9 , its a cracking cover but to me feels out of place on the album, the record label spent money to get a “name” producer Peter Collins (Rush, Gary Moore, Nik Kershaw to name but a few) the band were struggling to come up with songs, they turned to Steve Thompson who is from my neck of the woods, and who I did converse regarding song writing wise around the same time period, he was very helpful, the songs on here were a little poppy, the only issue for me is the opener Rendezvous, I think it was slightly too “poppy” I could have done without the syn drums at the start, a lot of the songs are around the three minute mark, I like the album, however it all turned to crap after the tour, they regrouped but it never hit the heights of this album.


Asia – Asia (debut). 8.5/10.

A supergroup that everybody said would end in failure, they turned in the biggest selling rock album of the year in the USA (10 million copies worldwide and still sells), a great debut produced by Mike Stone, 9 tracks of superb muscular music, there’s not a bad track on the album, ride easy which didn’t make the album being a b side and it really is, they only did a gig at Wembley in the UK, with a juggler as a support act, again it didn’t last the second album was rushed with John Wetton leaving / being sacked halfway though that tour with Greg Lake stepping in (the video is on YouTube) and at the end of the tour Wetton was back and Steve Howe had gone as well, I personally prefer the third album(Astra) but on this album they simply didn’t put a foot wrong , great cover, great album, great band!


Judas Priest – Screaming For Vengeance. 9/10.

They have never made a really bad album (maybe the debut) there have been some bumps in the road, Point of Entry was probably a little poppy for the rock crowd (although the tour for that album was so good) they regrouped to Ibiza and recorded a classic, nine tracks, one cover, one instrumental, a great cover, there was nothing wrong at all with this album, why 9/10 well the hit single outstayed its welcome (for me) I like the song, but it’s just the only track they ever seem to play, my issue was the home tour which was at the tail end of a massive world tour with around seven months in the States and Canada, a lot of UK fans felt neglected, it was worth the wait, Quiet Riot supporting, the city hall full to the gunnels probably the best gig in Newcastle for me, and they played some awesome gigs there up until this point,


Iron Maiden – The Number of the Beast. 9.5/10.

I love the first two albums, but to me this was when the blue touch paper was lit, Martin Birch cracked the whip and the band took the bit between their lips and ran with it, 8 awesome tracks the band hated invaders and wanted to put the B – side Total Eclipse on the album, I’m glad they didn’t as it was a bit of a plodder, the fact they still play half of the album live (and in the original key says so much), I go back to this album more than the current crop of albums (and I still like those albums) but I would love them to get back to the short sharp punch of this song style, this album, a short review simply because there is so little wrong to pick to pieces, is it perfect, no, but it’s as near as you can get it dammit.

No comments:

Post a Comment