Sunday 27 September 2020

The Name of The Game.

I have long been a tad naughty and the bulk of the blogs have usually been named after a song that has been in my head in the days running up to publishing a blog occasionally it may be an album title or some nonsense that has popped up  in this scattered brain of mine, who knows?, I always do like to start with a title in mind, it usually sets the tone of the blog. This one sprang to mind as I typed this up as the radio was playing, as I was simply going to call this blog “Greatest Hits” I know I’m not now, but I was struggling to come up with something for this one, it’s rare that the blog comes before I have a working title, I can change it, but like I say it’s usually music that opens a can of worms,  problem solved, now on with the drivel!

So I’m only going to do the last twenty titles simply as I am aware I could bore for England on this subject matter, I had a couple of peeps ask why these particular titles and to be honest I have no idea and not everybody plays the name game anymore, me flogging a dead horse (see there’s an album title) you can bet your bottom I will, it amuses me and it’s really nice to see how many people are actually interested, not that many these days, so why the blog, well simply because I can!

Worry – I was concerned that people might think that the blog was going to be negative, it wasn’t, well not that much but I had been playing Tons of Sobs by Free while I was doing my legwork for the blog and that song stuck with me.

And the Bands Played On – Saxon, you cannot beat a bit of Saxon, and I was watching a documentary on Donnington Monsters of Rock, I honestly thought more people would get this one but just one person actually named it correctly!

Wasted – Def Leppard, I had just bought their debut album after not hearing it for years, it was in my local shop for £1.99 and so I thought why not, I liked it when it came out but I always thought it lightweight in production, this is a remastered version and damn its good.

He Know You Know – was not the original title but when I checked I had already used the one I wanted to use, so I went and played some Marillion to see what best suited the blog and this was the one.

Run for Cover – My love of Gary Moore has been reignited simply as I got a couple of his earlier albums on CD, Back on the Streets and Corridors of Power, I simply had to write about him, funnily enough the title had the best response in months with over twenty people guessing correctly.

Choices – An old Uriah Heep song from Innocent Victim not an album that many people like, but I love it, a kind of a guilty pleasure.

A Plague of Ghosts – You will realise  that  there are a lot of Fish related titles, he is my go to artist whatever kind of mood I am in and I kind of have a guilty pleasure for this song, the song may not be directly linked to the blog, sometimes they are, but I have a tendency to simply go with the flow.

Last Man Standing – Willie Nelson, I know I couldn’t believe it either, again I was in a place at work and someone had a dodgy radio station on, and I wasn’t a well person and someone commented that it was a song about me, I wasn’t a well bunny at the time, but it did seem kind of right.

Sunlight Seen Through Towering Trees – David Sylvian, this one was the one that got no attempts but lots of abuse, well kind of, people thought I had lost my mind, what can I say, I do like the bulk of his songs, well the ones at least structured like a song, open your mind, google it find the album it comes from and simply enjoy!

When The Walls Come Tumbling Down – We are back to Def Leppard for no other reason than I had this song in my head (part of the reason why I bought the album a few weeks later at such a super low price) I hadn’t heard the bloody thing in over 30 years and then it just popped into my head and I couldn’t shake it, my internal juke box is shot.

Unbreakable – FM, just a great song and it was on repeat at the time of writing the blog!

Too Many People – Vardis, yes I know who the hell remembers them, I saw them as a support a couple of times and my brother bought this single (somebody recently gave me the complete discography on MP3……WHY?) and this is their only really memorable toe tapper, again I hadn’t heard it ages and the chorus simply wouldn’t be moved from my brain.

It’s Late – Queen, possibly the best song from News of the World, damn its good, and it’s an album I was playing an awful lot at the time of writing the blog I don’t even remember what the blog was about (maybe I should go back and check) it’s just a damn good song.

Calling all the Heroes – It Bites, damn this is a mighty fine song not even their best but the only one to kick its way into the top 40, it certainly perks you up on a morning again, highly recommended.

Mood for a Day – Yes, I do like a bit of prog when I am writing, it simply can’t be beaten it takes you to another world and helps cleanse all the crap from your brain as you write, well it does for me, even if this is simply a jaunty little instrumental.

Waiting for Tomorrow – The (mighty) Rods, just what you need to clear the cobwebs, it’s a jolly good romp maybe not the best music to write to but it does lift you up.

Misplaced Childhood – Marillion not a song but an album, its where my head was and had been as you will notice over the next couple of titles.

Escape from Childhood – Fish this time, although some of the music is the same, an album, a live set that got quite a bit of play at the time, its where I was at the time, what can I say I’m a fan.

Return to Childhood – Fish once more with yet another live album sometimes I do need some of his vibe!

Internal Exile – Fish, why simply because I was thinking that I was going to declare my independence from the United Kingdom and become the sovereign state of Gimpsville, well ok so I was simply playing the album at the time of writing LOL.

So there you go an explanation as to what the songs were , like I say not many do the name game anymore, the main reason why I do use song titles is that I’m trying to get you lot to see what song I was playing (usually on repeat) at the time of scribbling, don’t forget I scribble (my Notes) then I write and then rewrite and usually type and then recheck to see what I have missed or misspelled , honestly there is some preparation done for these blogs, I  might do one in twenty off the cuff but usually I follow my preferred method.

So onwards the next one is about to go to the typing stage (it’s definitely complete) it’s all I can do to stop writing, my head is awash with some (allegedly) good fun stuff long may it run, although there  is only around 16 blogs left before I change direction, let’s keep that until the next blog, so until the next time keep watching the skies for incoming, do what you can to stay safe and stay alive, but until then ………Toodles!

No comments:

Post a Comment