Sunday 30 September 2018

Holidays

As a kid we had holidays Scarbourgh a couple of times, Blackpool once and I was ill the whole time (with an ear infection that led to a perforated eardrum) and Dunbar in Scotland which although it was boring it was a great time the only real holiday were we interacted with the person who if memory serves me right was our dad, not that we did much apart play on a very long windswept beach looking for razor clams, hells bells even my brother was nice to me hahaha.

 The last holiday we did have was in Scarbourgh and there was a vibe from the beginning, which me and my brother didn’t pick up on, good god we were just kids going on holiday my dad didn’t want to pack the car there was an issue with “something” but my mum insisted and we set out at about 5 in the morning to drive there (this was the seventies) and we were normal kids with my dad insisting that if we didn’t calm down he would turn the car around, we were staying at a place called Strawberry Grove or so he said and we drove around Scarbourgh for what seemed ages and my mum was suspicious as he didn’t want to ask for directions, in the end my mum got him to pull over and she asked a policeman (yes they still walked the streets in those days) who after scratching his head admitted he had never heard of it although he was new to the area( some of the details were refreshed in my memory by my mum over the years hell I was just a kid) at this point my dad then said we might as well go home, it was then that I saw my mum lose her temper with my dad for the one and only time and boy did she have a go at him as we drove down the street she saw a boarding house that had vacancies “well if we can’t find the place you have booked we will stay here for the night at least” so this old lady showed us to the upstairs flat and we settled in, my parents to separate corners ready for the bell to ring when a mouse popped out of nowhere and broke the ice we all laughed and mum shrieked and we went for a walk around the streets taking in the sights, we had chips and candy floss my brother and me got on really well for this holiday and if truth be told this was the beginning of the end for my parents, things were strained but when you’re seven you don’t really notice I think my brother had and that’s why he was all of a sudden older but wiser and a proper brother, that first night we resolved to stay awake as long as possible, we stayed awake as long as the streetlights stayed on but we did indeed drift off , not before we talked of things that we had never talked about before and for that short time I realised what a big brother was for and I was a happy little camper for having a big brother although at the time I had no idea why?

We stayed at the flat for four days exploring the town and watched the battleships in Peasome Park, went on the boats and very nearly met my uncle Robson for the first time but my dad steered us clear for some reason, and then after four days mum’s courage had waned and she was quite happy to head home, which was probably because she knew that my dad had paid by cheque and it was bouncing all the way to the bank, things were strained all the way home and even I noticed, the relationship foundered a few weeks down the line and that set off many issues that even all this time down the line I still struggle with.

A few years later my Uncle took me Bridlington (my brother dodged that bullet) with his second wife and his son from his first marriage, the holiday was good but my cousin was weird and kept trying to freak me out on a night time it was the first time I ever used the F word I have to admit we didn’t really get on, but the holiday was a welcome distraction, but to be honest I wasn’t going to miss having a holiday! what you didn’t have you didn’t miss.

 I wasn’t to have another holiday for over fifteen years, when in a new relationship (with the wife) we organised a trip to Cyprus a holiday that was eventful because I actually became a proper adult and enjoyed a great time with the eldest as you should when on holidays. Apart from a fall where I tore a ligament in my foot (and no I wasn’t drunk) and the fact that we locked ourselves out of our hire car it was a low key holiday but once you have a holiday you soon realise what you are missing and from there on in I looked forward to our jaunts whether it was to Haggerston castle (a caravan park) or to the Med or Florida I always enjoyed spending time with the family (yes that’s right me with my reputation)  but what did become troublesome was when we started going with the Kraken she was and is a major pain when walking into an airport and on a plane, the actual holiday she is usually good company and chills like everybody else but those hours waiting for a plane or the actual flight itself erm no I think I would rather take an orbital sander to my genitals than go through that ever again (unless I could hire a private jet) that’s why I am so looking forward to our jaunt to Las Vegas this March great company and me and the wife where she can decompress away from all the grief that she has to put up with (say the word I will gladly step up to the plate and sort it with total finality) it has been arranged at short notice and with a short run in the Kraken can only (and I know she will) throw a few hissy fits before we go, but I know we will have to pay for it when we get back.
There are some destinations I would love to go to (when the lottery gives me my winnings hahaha) Hong Kong I nearly got posted there in the army but the Falkland’s war would have scrubbed that posting, Japan, New Zealand and lots of places in North America but money is always tight and they are indeed just a wish list, maybe one day. The ultimate destination is to hire Richard Branson’s island Necker (have a look at the website) that is on my bucket list one day (a definite euromillions win for me to take my friends with me) it really so funny when you don’t a holiday you don’t miss them but once the genie is out of the bottle it’s so addictive and honestly if I was fitter (not fatter) and the wife was not in such poor health the list would probably be twice as long, we are of an age when we should be kicking back and indeed having fun with a capital F.

I know the wife does indeed put up with many shit times (it’s her choice and I have no desire to influence) and hopefully (I know it will) she will enjoy the time away with friends and laughter is the best medicine or so I’m told, I have been hatching many cunning plots with E about if I should take my “Peter” mask for lots of photographs for the books to come but she also planted the seed that I could see the inside of an American jail as I get told to “raise my hands and remove the mask” hahaha we shall see, I am counting down the minutes (52980) until we go, we shall be doing the ritual of taking and abandoning our wrecked trainers as we buy new ones in America, hahaha and I know there will be quite a few chapters to come out 

No comments:

Post a Comment