Sunday 23 April 2023

Four on the Floor – Deep Purple Solo Stuff.

 

So, over the last few weeks music has helped sooth the savage beast (that’s me if you hadn’t worked it out) and I have been playing a lot of older material, I had a couple of ideas for a couple of these, Deep Purple are a major influence to my musical path, I’m going to do some of the lesser known stuff, if you are a fan you will know them, I’m not saying that these are undiscovered gems just what I have played lately.

Glenn Hughes – Play Me Out.   8/10.

I remember hearing this and thinking, this is a tad different not what I was expecting at all, the single “I found a woman” is so soulful its lovely, it has a who’s who of players including Pat Travers, Mark Nauseef, Mel Galey and Dave Holland to name but a few, it’s not a rock album by any stretch of the imagination, Glenn speeding of his tits, but I do like it, I always used to think I was sophisticated when I played it, I always liked weird! And this is weird!

Ian Gillan Band – Clear Air Turbulence. 8.5/10.

I loved this from the first bar, I think my brother paid £1.99 for it, six tracks of jazz rock!  I bought it on cassette for 50p from our local Woolworths, I was gutted when it eventually got chewed up, it was one of the first albums I downloaded in those early days of Pirate Bay, this was such a fruitful time for the guys from Purple, they released so much good music in such a short period of time, it’s the only album I like from this part of his career, but boy does he sound good on this!

David Coverdale – Northwinds.    9/10.

Again, not what I was expecting, and it annoyed me when he went off and did whitesnake, not there was anything wrong with the band, I just love this, songs like Only my soul, Say you love and Keep on giving me love and ending with the barnstorming Breakdown, again only 8 songs but everyone of them hit the mark, it’s a shame that he stuck to the formula of his famous band! I would love to see him tour with these songs, it would suit his voice, at least he wouldn’t have to screech like a banshee!

  Roger Glover & Friends - The Butterfly Ball and the Grasshopper's Feast.     7/10.

Again, a different kind of album, I first heard the best track “Love is All” sung by Ronnie James Dio long before he joined Rainbow, on Blue Peter the kids programme (hey I was a kid I was 9) it’s not a rock album, and it has again a huge roster of stars on it I probably play it once every 5 years, but when I do, I love it!

Not the albums that I bet peeps were expecting, but they will pop up soon enough! So enjoy hopefully the blogs can be back on track now, until the next one……. Toodles!

No comments:

Post a Comment