Sunday 23 June 2019

Mental Ward


Before we go any further yes, the name game is in play, this is not a blog mocking anybody, its quite the opposite, but the song sprang to mind whilst I was on a course this week!

Some of you might realise  I have had a few (cough splutter) issues over the years and thanks to a fab support system, I have indeed been helped, now I’m not saying I’m cured by any stretch of the imagination, but the tools I have in  my tool kit have helped me get a little better, not perfect but a work in progress.

Most people including my self do hide their conditions, we don’t wish to be judged, believe it or not some people have a tendency to be not nice, thankfully it’s not like the good old days, a lot of you have a better understanding about these issues simply because people probably know some one who is going through some kind of emotional turmoil, the figures are truly staggering, no I’m not going to bore you if you have interest go look it up (the “Mind” website is a great place to start) now don’t panic I’m not going to get all preachy this  is simply a small missive …..well simply because I can!

Obviously I have an interest, it took me 32 years to ask for help, I’m so glad that I did, as I really was heading down a rabbit hole with nothing tethering me to the real world, again with great support (you all know who you are) my wife has been the best tether into the real world anybody could ask for. I was able to overcome this particular hurdle, some of these people who helped me had their own issues, unknown to me at the time. I asked for help and got it, I was very grateful and yes I blogged the hell out of it, I still do and more than likely will as long as I have the condition (so that’s for life then) I have also taken an active interest in learning more so that I can offer the same support that I received, I’m not so selfish as to not want to help anybody (and I do mean anybody I know who has problems)  who needs help.

The course had been on  the cards since the beginning of the year and I had forgotten all about it, other issues in the work scheme of things, I received a reminder with the timetable for the day, I was nervous, was I going to play well with others, I travelled to the destination (not my usual place of work) and was greeted with people who seemed pleased to see me as well as the folk from my place of work, then we began, no I’m not going to deliver a blow by blow account of the course it was informative, the lady who delivered the course was very good and it wasn’t simply death by power point, I soon realised that a number of other  people who I work with had issues, their masks slipped, in a good way and they were supported in an even better way, as always legal matters are broached, to be honest it nearly derailed the course but the lady in charge really was in charge and got us back on track, she covered a number of topics with great relevant information and although she touched on my condition she didn’t labour on it, that made me happy.

At the end of the course I had had enough , I was drained emotionally, thankfully not in a negative way, for a change, I went to say thank you as I had indeed enjoyed the course, and like a bolt out of the blue she asked me “how I was coping with my PTSD?” WTF, it turns although it had been barely mentioned I was super focused on the subject, damn she was good, I slipped away after saying my thanks, others were going for a drink, it appears I was noticed as being missing in action, again in a good way, I will admit to having slept virtually all the way home, I was drained but for once it was a good feeling!

The aftermath and conversations the day after were interesting and again multiple support teams were built, there were far more people jealous of not being on the course than I imagined, for once I was glad to have taken part in a great course, for something that I think will simply be a much bigger issue in the years to come, I hope in a good way for everybody concerned whether that be at work or in my personal life!  

The blog has been astonishing in numbers and kind comments and its an even split for those who wish the historical ones and those who seem to be here because they enjoy the “style” their words of choice not mine, I’m not even sure that I had a style, but hey ho you learn something new every day, I don’t think that’s a bad thing either! I have started to filter and get rid of things that I have stockpiled for future blogs, I do intend to finish at 500 (please see previous blogs) so I don’t think I need everything that is stockpiled, my one concern is that the kraken keeps coming over and tidying up when I’m not here, my main book has been misplaced, with some great ideas which I would like to finish, I’m being good about it though as I know it will surface at some point (I hope).

So things appear to be on an even keel, that in itself is a frightening thing, our trips to the outside world haven’t been as much as I would like however I have been saving some pennies for a trip away in September and the wife well, she is spending what she wants when she wants (so no change there then) we will be making visits in the next couple of weeks (honest) but you lot do have your own lives we catch on to the tails of your comets at some point, that’s a threat and a promise……..incoming!

There you have it a man at peace (well sort of) on a Sunday morning the family have been fed and pushed out the door off to work, me I’m going to have a day doing what I do best. listening to lots of music and I might do a little bit of work (only because it suits me) I have some household chores to carry out and then to chillax before the marauding hordes return from their places of work expecting food and nourishment, so enjoy the blog, your day , the weather, your loved ones, family and pets I know I intend to and yes I know I usually come across as a pessimist, today so far I am being an optimist lets see how long that lasts, so once again keep the comments coming, keep spreading the disease, it’s the only way this grows, its simply if you guys (and gals) hit like or what ever you lot do, so watch the skies for more incoming, but until the next time……………………..Toodles!

No comments:

Post a Comment