Friday, 2 October 2026

Five Truths


Some people treat their birthday as they would any other day. That does not mean they begrudge anyone else their celebration; they have simply chosen not to mark their own in the same way. For me, that outlook rests on five personal truths.

1. Strength Can Begin in Simplicity

Since childhood, I have rarely celebrated my birthday. Growing up in a one-parent family, I saw how hard my mother worked to afford even the simplest things. The strain took its toll on her and, in different ways, on my brother and me. We did not complain; we simply wanted what was best for her. I learned not to place too much importance on special occasions, because they could bring pressure as easily as joy. When you grow up with very little, you learn not to miss what you have never had. Life simply carries on.

2. Peace Is Its Own Celebration

I am naturally low-maintenance. Gifts, parties and noise have never mattered greatly to me. I enjoy being with family and friends, but I do not need to be the centre of attention. I also value my own company. Sometimes, genuine peace is the most meaningful celebration of all. Not everyone will understand that—and they do not need to.

3. Give More Than You Receive

I have always preferred helping others to receiving things myself. We live somewhat on the outskirts and do not see people often, but distance does not lessen my commitment to those I care about. My wife is navigating some difficult circumstances, and I hope I am helping her through them. The same is true for my family and anyone I consider a friend: it may take me a while to get there, but if I can help, I will. Some people see me as strong, although I am not always sure that I am. What I do know is that I will make myself available when someone needs me. When it is my turn to need support, however, I find it difficult to risk feeling like a burden.

4. Learn to Create Your Own Happiness

Ultimately, each of us must learn what genuinely brings us contentment. It took me time to understand that. I savour a quiet meal and moments alone, but I also treasure time with family and friends. I am not as insular as I once was. These days, I can be equally happy in good company or in the stillness of my own space. Solitude is not loneliness; sometimes it is simply where we find balance.

5. Measure Life by Progress, Not Dates

For me, another year is not really about cake or candles. It is about whether I have grown, learned or achieved something meaningful. A birthday may mark another journey around the sun, but the passing of time matters less than what we do with it. We all need a sense that we are moving forward; otherwise, what is the journey for?

This is not intended to sound dour. It is simply my attempt to explain how I see life, family and friendship. I was once far more withdrawn, and I have experienced many highs and just as many lows. Much of that came from my own state of mind rather than from the people around me. A few people have asked about me and about my philosophy on life. I am not sure this qualifies as a philosophy, but it is honest: value people, offer help when you can, find peace within yourself, and judge the years not by the dates that pass, but by the person you are becoming.

How does that sit with everyone who asked questions, no the name game is not in play, but my notes are pretty close to the actual blog as i wrote this as a stream of consciousness on public transport, i have to admit that i enjoyed writing this truthful missive, i hope you enjoyed it as much as i did, the first of the month, watch this space, but until then.........Toodles! 



No comments:

Post a Comment