Friday 2 August 2024

Where Eagles Dare!


A blog of two half’s, and again not the blog I had intended, well in a way it was, let me explain, I had the base line written out, I simply had to polish it, then life as it does gets in the way!

The week started with the usual aches and pains for me, knees, shoulder various little tweaks here and there, it was further complicated as I was attacked on the bus by an old lady and a suitcase, its not dramatic as it sounds, the old lady was trying to deal with a young child and her suitcase ran down the bus as I stood up to vacate said vehicle, there’s nowhere to store bags these days and well I acted as a braking system for the case, I think she was transporting gold bars for some third world dictator , I smiled and said it was ok (it wasn’t, but I’m a gentleman) thankfully a day in the office I was able to suffer in silence. Thankfully they get thirty-five hours and no more, it’s still double the rate of most of the other teams seem to be up to!

Upon arriving home, I discovered that the wife had Covid again, thankfully she’s a much better patient than I am and she simply got on with life, with little sympathy for my suitcase tale! It would appear my brother and his daughter have also succumbed to the Covid, so its doing the rounds again, even the pooch has come out in sympathy as he needs a major operation as he has dislocated something and it needs to be held in place and although we have insurance he has had issues this last year and so is nearly up to his limit, so for the operation to go ahead we need to stump up at least another £2000.

Another day in the office with my headphones in, but not switched on I simply don’t want people to bother me while I work, and I’m aghast at these privileged pampered people who have no idea what life is like outside the rarefied oxygen outside of the university, they are nice enough people (well most of them) they simply have no  idea about the universe or anything in life in general, I keep getting caught looking at peoples shoes to see who tied them, as I doubt many of them could! As the week continues, I feel worn out, my body is a temple, or rather a ruin at the bottom of someone’s garden!

By and large I’m not normally a jealous person, but I keep seeing peoples status’s on Farcebook about the life they are leading and I am so jealous, well to be honest I’m jealous for anybody who seems to walk to their front gate , something I should do more often, just to cheer me up, by the time I get home I am wiped out, I’m beginning to think my diabetic riddled worn out shell of a body is worthless, and by the time I actually I do get the chance to retire ( lunch time on the day that I die) it’s not going be a worthwhile endeavour. I/we simply need to break from the shackles that we have created for ourselves, one day someday soon, maybe, maybe’s not! Then to cap it all I finally catch (after 4 years) Covid, not as bad as the wife, but my chest seems to take the brunt of it, I will stay home until I’m clear (that’s today) I seem to doze and do very little for those five days and I do sleep the sleep of the dead most evenings however I’m still up an hour before my alarm goes off, so I take to haunting downstairs, until the wife gets up!

I made a joke that it couldn’t get worse, could it? Well yes it could, as we lost an avid reader, a Mancunian living in Germany, someone who had been with the blog literally from day one, Dave Robinson, who I had had many meaningful/nonsense conversations, and he was a great supporter when doubt kicked in, he had been poorly recently and he passed after a couple of days in hospital, we hadn’t met in real time, but I would say that we were friends, and the title of the blog is in memory of Dave as whenever I need solace/support I would send up a flare of “Broadsword Calling Danny Boy” to which he always responded, we hadn’t spoken since earlier in the year, when as always he was supportive about me getting my knee sorted (he had his done a couple of years earlier) its funny how a loss hits you, even a friendship over the airwaves, my best wishes go out to his family and friends, god speed and goodnight!

Yes the name game is in play no its not the film, it is a song, google it if you must, the blog took a darker turn than expected and simply want what had been planned, yes I know its late, but I was poorly go sue me, and then I was devasted that we lost Dave,  for his sake I will get back on track and the rest of the year the blogs will be dedicated to Mr Robinson, Achtung Broadsword Calling Danny Boy one last time in the ether! Until the next time stay safe and stay alive until then………………………...Toodles!

No comments:

Post a Comment