I was having a conversation the other day and as usual it evolved into what’s the best etc and it was mainly about live albums, I also noticed that it was primarily albums between 1973 and 1983 ish, so I thought long and hard, actually not really these ten have been my top ten for most of my life, these are my top ten, if you disagree, I have no issue, there’s bound to be a couple that I have forgotten about or there might simply be a reason why I haven’t picked them, buckle in here we go.
Deep Purple
– Made in Japan 10/10.
In my
opinion simply the best live album ever, not one overdub, yes I didn’t believe
it until I heard the bootlegs of the same performances and listened to the Live
in Japan box set which gives you the entire concerts that the tracks are pulled
from, the band are on fire, great songs yes there’s other Deep Purple live
albums and loads of other “official” releases which to be honest are pretty
damn awesome but this simply has never been beaten, it was also the first live
album I ever heard, nothing has ever come close to this…….OK!
Blue Oyster
Cult – Some Enchanted Evening 8.5/10.
My
favourite BOC live album and there are tons of them, I have at least ten
“official” live albums from different era’s but I prefer this one, maybe
because I’m on it (Tee Hee) why not a perfect score, personally the sound is a
bit weedy but still better than “On Your
Feet or on your Knees” which someone
once said was mainly due to them going wireless, I do like all of the live
albums by them, but this does take the biscuit, great cover, gets in gets out,
some of the later ones simply repeat the greatest hits or resorts to covers
(ETL’s Roadhouse Blues which I hate) and while it’s not (its close) my Fave BOC
number I don’t think that the version of Astronomy has been beaten in any other
live format!
UFO -
Strangers in the Night 9.5/10.
This album
blew my mind pretty similar to Made in Japan, simply stunning, great songs,
great playing Schenker at his best, (the box set that was released recently
superb, all of the nights that this album was taken from) I loved the cover
(don’t ask me I like what I like) I had discovered them six months previously
when Obsessions had been released, that beat me up as up until that point I had
never heard anything so sonically superior to what was being delivered by other
bands at the time, this was the perfect set list I played the album quite a lot
once I had borrowed it and taped it, I couldn’t afford many double albums at
the time, the only track that was missing for me was “Cherry”, which in actual
fact is the reason it gets it scoring, I don’t know anybody of my age who
doesn’t like this album!
Kiss –
Alive 9.5/10.
The first
album I ever heard by Kiss, Christmas morning 1975, my brother got it from my
mother and I can’t even remember what I got, that album was played to death
over and over again for the next couple of months until my brother started
buying the studio albums, they looked great, they sounded great, even on a one
speaker Dansett record player, what’s not to like from the opening of “you want
the best you got the best etc” it’s a non-stop rock n roller coaster, and if
I’m honest its probably the Kiss live album that I go back to time and time
again there’s nothing wrong with the others this is simply the best live album
they ever did!
Thin Lizzy
– Live & Dangerous 9/10.
What’s not
to like? that cover is simply awesome,
great sound, the only issue for me is there’s two songs I don’t care for, one
is Johnny the Fox and The Rocker, there are better tracks to put on in my
opinion, I mean I don’t turn those songs off, but they aren’t my favourite
tracks, I never saw a bad concert by them and this is simply the best example
for those who couldn’t get to see them in real life, the bands on fire, they
never topped this as a live recording, Life was a poor second best for me, the closest
for me is when they played Sydney Opera House with Gary Moore and Mark Nauseef,
let’s just sit and bask in the glory that is Live & Dangerous!
The
Scorpions – Tokyo Tapes 8.5/10.
My brother
bought this as an import a week before it was officially released in the UK, oh
how I laughed, he had brought a couple of albums earlier in the year but the
live album was simply fab, I know I will get asked again but it’s down to
tracks, I was never a fan of Uli Jon Roth’s voice and although I do like
Hellcat and Polar Nights his voice puts me off just so, and I could do without
the rock and roll medley, even Queen couldn’t pull it off, again I never liked
any of the following live albums although I would have loved a live album from
the Lovedrive tour simply for the additional tracks, Roth’s playing on this
album was superb but he had already left before this was released, they were
turbo charged after this, but what a great snap shot of what was!
Blackfoot –
Highway Song 9/10.
The
absolute peak for this band, after this they added Ken Hensley and they were
never the same ever again, great album after great album and then this tour
blew the roof off the UK and made a big
statement, just listen to the crowd especially on “howay the lads” from the
Mayfair, who knew the car crash that was about to happen, this was/is my going
out on a Friday night album, can I get a hell yeah, this was their brightest
moment out in the sunlight and damn it was good!
Cheap Trick
– At the Budokan 8/10.
Probably
the weakest of all of the live albums in this top ten, but whenever I listen to
it I do get a big cheesy grin all over my stupid face it’s a great album and
the very first album I ever heard by them, it was everywhere back in the day I
know quite a few of my friends who owned a copy, it was a rites of passage type
of thing, I had a friend who literally had twelve different versions of it, in
different coloured vinyl, and different sleeves, I believe it was the fifth CD
I ever bought, like all of these albums being listed they transport me back to
a better time.
Journey –
Captured 8.5/10.
Again, the
first thing I ever heard by them and I loved it, shame I missed them a week
later at the Mayfair supporting Pat Travers, D’oh! I loved this album again a
great double live set, with a great cover, who knew that they were about to go
on and simply be practically the biggest and best band in the USA for the next
few years, a near perfect set list, Perry singing like an angel and the rest of
the band literally burning up the stages as they went out everywhere, I’m not
sure why they put a studio track on as the last song I’m sure they had plenty
of material to fill it up, it’s a small gripe for a rather spiffing album!
Al Di
Meola, John Mclaughlin, Paco de Lucia – Friday Night in San Francisco 9/10.
A curve
ball I know, but I simply cannot get enough of this particular album, a total
guitar fest, I had a couple of friends who saw them on this tour and it simply
blew them away, when I was presented with a copy of this album my jaw simply
dropped, I eventually was able to see all three artists just not all together
on one stage, this has five songs and lasts 41.00 minutes some absolute
fantastic technical ability, it simply brings a smile to my face.
Now that’s
my ten, it might not be yours I don’t care, its all about the memories, and
these albums have been chock block full of memories for me, now you might
notice that there’s no Rainbow, Ritchie is there with Made In Japan, lets not
get greedy and there are so many great “official” live albums or video’s of
that line up so lets not go there, No priest , well to be honest I’m not a fan
of the later day live albums Unleashed sounds a little doctored, I’ve heard the
bootlegs off that Japan tour and the Bootlegs sound better, the live B-sides
from the Killing Machine singles from the Agora ballroom are the best released
live tracks I have ever heard from Priest so raw, No Queen, no simply because
the officially released material has no balls the bootlegs are so much better,
the Houston summit gig is simply wow, the Hyde park gig, even better the Crazy Tour
dates are mind blowing, I’m sorry but the tracks speak for themselves, no
Aerosmith simply because their bootlegs sound better than the sanitised
versions of their Live albums, no Frank Marino his Live album is awesome but he
leans in too heavily on the Hendrix vibe for me, nothing from Fish, there’s too
many to choose from and to be honest his voice is shot most of the time, No
Wishbone Ash Live dates the list can go on and trust me it does, the ten of my
list are pretty consistent, they might move position but they rarely drop out of the top ten, No ACDC,
I prefer their bootlegs it’s all about personal choice and that’s mine, it’s
all subjective like what you like, enjoy music it’s all subjective, YouTube is
a great leveller there is so much stuff that’s not under the control of the
artist, some awesome some great, and some that frankly shocking but it can
still be good, I don’t care, music simply lifts the spirit, even bands you
don’t like, to other people the stuff you like lifts you it’s all good in the
hood, until next time play your music loud and enjoy…..Toodles.
No comments:
Post a Comment