Monday 8 January 2024

Hot Night in a Cold Town.

Ok I'm going to say something controversial, I like Uriah Heep, most versions of the many line ups, now I have seen a couple of the line ups, and then other members in solo bands and the such like, lets go by  Vocalists David Byron, I kind of liked but that was about it, the first album I heard by Heep that I can say “yes” that’s the album was Return to Fantasy, I had a friend who had them all except the album Salisbury, thankfully because I hate the album with a passion, so I did like a couple with Byron but not many full albums , there was always a couple of cracking tunes but not always full albums, but in them days they had to make sure that they released an album every two and a half weeks, i simply liked it. I never got to see the band with Mr Bryon but I did see his solo band at Newcastle Mayfair around about 1980 I know I was still at school so it might have been 1981, His band was average as was his performance as he was hammered on stage, the on the only good thing was Robin George was his guitarist!  And the venue was embarrassingly empty!

I got to see Uriah Heep for the first time with John Lawton ( and I liked all three albums he sang on) on the Fallen Angel Tour at Newcastle City hall march 1979, the venue wasn’t full and the setlist wasn’t appreciated by the hard core fans, I got to see them play Free & Easy  and Choices so I was happy, it should have been my brother going but he was ill for some reason (probably simply didn’t want to go) so I took his place, the three lads were a couple of years older than him so about 5 years older than me, I was left to my own devices at the venue, I can remember the support band was a four piece, however we arrived as they finished the last song of the set, I enjoyed the gig but I don’t think many of the others did, its probably why John Lawton left after the tour was he pushed or did he jump, I’ll wager nobody actually cares!

The next tour was with John Sloman and again at the city hall, I didn’t care much for the Conquest album ( the first album ever recorded digitally ) but Sloman seemed to suit the older songs and they opened with “Stealin” one of my favourite songs by them, again I went with older people thankfully people from my school, Sloman’s version of The Wizard was great as well, but again the Hall was emptier than the first time I saw them, things did look so good, I honestly thought that this would be the end!

Fast forward two years and they came back with Pete Goalby (who I knew from Trapeze) to be honest I like him as my favourite Heep singer, I did three dates in four days with friends from Durham and was nearly killed in a car crash (slight exaggeration) but that’s enough for another blog, actually I have already covered the story in an earlier blog, the album was fantastic the band were quite literally on fire, opening the set with “Sell your Soul” they even threw in “Son of a Bitch” which was a B- side, the Newcastle show was the worst of the lot and they tore the roof of the venue they were so good!

Then the last time I saw them I didn’t believe that I was actually going to see them, it was in some shitty little, I’m going to say that it was a sports hall I don’t remember exactly, I know it was in March of 1985, again the band was great but you could tell Pete Goalby had had enough, yes the venue was full but it was a pokey little sports centre, he quit not long after, it was good for me as I swapped details with him and I spent the summer of 86 writing a handful of tunes with him, nice man and paid on time, that’s always a winner with me.

And I haven’t seem the since their albums have gotten progressively better since the first couple with Bernie Shaw, a Canadian who has spent nearly 35 years with the band, so he must be doing something right, mind you the last couple of albums are blinders, there’s life in the old dog yet,  I have had a couple of chances to see them but have never made that final leap so to speak I remember the golden years with Pete Goalby, that’s my version of the band, the band is still lead by the nicest man in rock Mick Box who is always jolly and pleasant and yes I did see him throw up at the rear of the Mayfair, I don’t think he can drink Newcastle Brown Ale said Bob Daisley, who was a tad naughty and had been plying Mr Box with it all day.

So there you a musical historical one for you lot, how patient can you be, this should have been out yesterday however I was a little off colour, its an age thing I think, so onwards, upwards, forwards enjoy and spread the word around the name game is in play and so look to the skies for the next exciting episode, until then ……………Toodles!

Yes, the name game is in play but honestly, how easy do I have to make it!

No comments:

Post a Comment