Sunday 16 January 2022

2021 – My Musical Year!


And so, the last year disappears in the rear-view mirror, it was not the best of years musically or personally for that matter, Bob was in attendance for more of it than I would like to admit, which is probably why I retreated into older music more than I had in the past.

I still had my regular supplier for downloads it was simply getting harder to collect, we did our best with visits from time to time, my intention to have more quality control, as always there was diamonds in the rough, however there was less quality than I had hoped for, enough of the gripes, here is what I liked.

None of these are in any particular order it’s just how I have taken it from my notes.

There were quite a few reissues this year and I will get to them at some point later in this blog: -

1.       Sloper – Pulverize. I do like to follow local talent and the singer of this band couldn’t be any more local, the rest of the band though are quite famous in Holland, Pete Shoulder who was in Winterville and The Union is the vocalist, a solid album here’s hoping there’s more to come from them.

 

2.       KK’s Priest – Sermons of the Sinner. Again, a good solid album, if not exactly astounding I enjoyed it for what it was, a Judas priest kind of cover band, Maybe, if KK had done this earlier instead of bleating to the press all of the time, I could have done without the return of the sentinel, it might have done a bit better, can do better is what I would say, the proof is in the second album,

 

 

3.       Yes – The Quest. The jury is still out on this one for me, it has its moments, but I’m not sold 100% I have played it a few times, let’s see if I return to it many more? but again the proof is in the pudding or rather how many times I go back to it! I love the original band I even loved the album where Trevor Horn sang (Drama) but I feel it’s ever decreasing circles with each line up since Mr Anderson was ejected!

 

4.       Bernie Marsden – Chess. I like Bernie he’s nice and social and he makes good albums, and that’s the problem, you won’t get a bad album, but he has never done a great album, I enjoyed this but again the proof is in the pudding or rather how many times I go back to it!

 

 

5.       Pepperkid2 – Adventures in Pepperland. I know I will get some odd looks over this one it’s the solo album of FM’s keyboard player, ably assisted by Laurence Archers Grand Slam band mates with a Steve Overland song added into the mix, I like it, it’s what I would call mature, again I need to play it a few more times but it is a grower, not what I was expecting!

 

6.       Pete Goalby – Easy with the heartaches. Famous for playing with Trapeze and Uriah Heep in the early 80’s I had the pleasure of working with him in 86 , I got this to see if any of my songs made it onto the list, they don’t , he disappeared from the face of the music business for some reason (for legal reasons I can’t mention Mickie Most) he still has a good voice and to be honest this should have been titled work in progress, as they sound like demo’s to me, I like them but they will blend into the background over the next couple of months.

 

 

7.       Smith – Kotzen – Debut. I love this album, I love the playing, I love the vocals, did I mention that I love the playing, I love the songs, great album and in reality, probably my album of the year in all honesty!

 

8.       Iron Maiden – Senjitsu. This is a little harder to quantify, is it a good album, yes it is, its just so dense, I must have played this more than 20 times and I’m still getting to grips with it, too many long songs for me, just when you are getting to grips with a song it buggers off on another bloody turning, do I like it yes I do, but the fact that there is only one 4 minute song, even that seems longer, sometimes I like the punch that they used to do, I will continue to wrestle with it, they don’t do bad albums but howay lads lets have a short one  next time please!

 

 

9.       Robben Ford – Pure. I get a lot of guitarists music and I do like Mr Ford but this isn’t in the same league as Talk to your daughter, do I like it, I do or it wouldn’t be in this list, I do keep going back to it, I’m not interested in learning the names, I’m not that invested, it depends on my mood, it is what it is a good album.

 

10.   Steve Lukather – I found the sun again.  I love Toto, I love most of his solo stuff (his debut is simply stunning) but I wandered away from his catalogue, this was a pleasant surprise, with a couple of odd covers, although they are played well.

So that was the new stuff but what else did I go back to, well I bought a new MP3 player simple to use with tons of space for complete discography’s so let’s see what else I have been listening to:-

1.       Whitesnake Restless Heart. Even though I now have the anniversary release playing on repeat I have had this on my MP3 player since day one with one exception there is a cover on here that sounds like Coverdale has been shot in the crotch by a nail gun, I have no idea why he put it on its horrific my third fave Whitesnake album after Trouble and Come and get It, give it a go you might like it!

 

2.       Thunder and all of the solo stuff. And I do mean all of it, I will play at least one of these a day, are they my fave band, hell no, but I do like them why the hell do you think I go to them on a daily basis, there is the odd dodgy track but by and large a cracking band with a go to catalogue.

 

 

3.       Fish – Discography. When Bob’s on the prowl this is my safe harbour or one of them, I actually prefer the solo stuff!

 

4.       Marillion – The First 4 Studio albums. My other safe harbour, I can listen to the Hogarth era but I wouldn’t go out of my way to, those first four are simply in another class and the band never matched them, they had one or two good moments, it’s strange their best effort without Fish and the only one I have listened to repeatedly is Seasons end, Go Figure!

 

 

5.       SO – Brass monkey. A twenty + year old album and more of a Beatles, soul, pop record one I never get sick of playing Steve Overland in his prime, it should have been huge!

 

6.       FM – Discography. Again, songs of my youth and I do love Mr O’s voice its not all sold gold but the bulk of it is, it all depends upon my mood.

 

 

7.       Thin Lizzy – Discography. I don’t have the words to describe these albums, let’s just say they remind of better times!

 

8.       Bad Company – Desolation Angels. Again, this is a rerelease, there is something about this album I love, simpler times I suppose, much better than their previous effort “Burning Sky”.

 

 

9.       UFO – Discography.  Again, I have always loved these but to be honest it’s the release of the 6 dates that made up the set for “strangers in the night” a great box set, it simply transports me back to the 70’s.

 

10.   Blackmores Night – Discography. Not even a guilty pleasure I love Mr B, and I love these albums, I will bounce through these and go back to Rainbow and Deep Purple, but these have been on my playlist for the last year.

So, there you go that’s basically what I have been playing for the last 12 months, music has been and will always my safe harbour, the blogs have been doing well and congratulations to Skep, not sure if that’s a nickname or your given first name well done, who not only got the name game also spotted the line from a Black Sabbath song (She’s Gone) in the last blog. The name game is not in play for this blog and this wasn’t the blog I intended to post this week but it’s the one I could finish, the next one will be here soon enough, I simply need to polish it, as I really do try my best, I don’t just vomit this literally onto the page!

Now to get on with life (and music) in 2022, life is……. shite, but you have to pick yourself up and move on, as long as I can still do that I will be happy, so look to the skies, for more incoming until the next blog all I can say is stay safe and stay alive, until then ……………………Toodles!

No comments:

Post a Comment