Thursday 22 October 2015

Angel and me

Ok lets try and do something with a positive spin for a change, with all the shit that's going on we desperately needed a win, thankfully we got one!

The wife rang me to tell me she was going to buy Glenn Hughes tickets for Newcastle I had no issue with this as I believe that the man has the voice of an angel, he has a tendency to wander off the beaten track but a simple rule of thumb if it has Mr Hughes on it I will like/love it (with the exception of his Christmas album..........really...........please lets not go there.......ok) tickets bought I went into panic mode as I soon realised that I was duty manager on that particular day, damn I was going to be popular (or travelling home alone after my shift) if I couldn't do some fancy footwork and get a swap, thankfully someone who normally isn't helpful, was, so I only had three minutes of panic, now we just had to count the days down to the big day!

Work continued in a westerly direction, I had a jolly jaunt away from home where I discovered one of my many bosses was coming to visit me at work, he turned up the day before Glenn arrived in Newcastle and his parting words on the Monday were "oh yes by the way I'm auditing you tomorrow" don't panic, I'm not prepared, deep breath, don't panic, try not to swear, I arrived at work the next day and just plunged straight in, if there was anything wrong, it would serve as an indicator that do I indeed need assistance, grrrrrr (carried on @onemandoingtheworkofsix.com) and to say it was a roller coaster would be an understatement, the first point that we took a break was eight hours later when we both realised that it was quarter to five, damn how did that happen, he seemed pleased and we reported back to my Ops Manager, the wife turned up with spiffing red hair and then promptly picked on me, I simply said it had been a long hard day and that I hadn't had anything to eat, she kicked off big style, I get where she was coming from but it was one of those days, if I had noticed the time during the day I would have drawn my boss's attention to it, he didn't eat either, so the toys were thrown out of the car and we were barely out of the car park............not a  great start ho hum!

Thankfully we both knew it was a storm in a tea cup and thankfully we were soon sat with SMOR and his good lady, munching our way through some good old fashioned Scampi, and then the shenanigans started, a few more pubs and lots and lots of familiar faces, simply the best tonic in the world although I was suffering (my knees just don't hold up as well as they used to) we ended up in the Bodega and SMOR's drink of choice wasn't available, cue much consternation thankfully crisis averted as soon as he had a pint thrust into his empty hand, A (who had been in the venue earlier on in the day) and lots more people (who in reality are the wife's friends but they are gracious enough to accept me as a Jonny come lately .....lol) who it was fantastic to see, lots of short but oh so sweet conversations, it doesn't take much to feed the soul but this was so good!

Then off to Tilley's by this time I'm bloated, Lime and Soda will do that to a man and then even more people, a few who I didn't know, some I knew a little bit and one person who I seem to think is a bigger dick every time I meet him (although I have never spoken to this individual) he might be lovely, unfortunately he just acts like a dick, or was it the fact that I'm sober these days, hey ho he moved on and was promptly forgotten about!  we headed on to the venue and then bumped into even more people and Big G, a brief conversation and G knew what the set list was going to be and he claimed  it was going to be strange, I was happy to take whatever was given, then even more people in the bar, by this time my knees were shot I needed a rest, and unfortunately I missed some people who are always gracious enough to say hello, more of my fave people and by this time I do believe I had a (happy) silly grin on my face, damn is  this what its  like to be happy (hell yeah).

Off to our seats in the circle which were perfect viewing but tiny (Victorian theatre seats) and mine was wrecked I don't think my fat ass helped (oops!) the gig was (again I'm not here to review it) good, although I did have a few niggles (me with my reputation) there were only two songs I didn't care much for one a Whitesnake song that Doug Aldrich (Glenn's current guitarist) wrote, ok I get it but there are better songs within the Doug Aldrich cannon (musical term look it up) and one Deep Purple song (mistreated) which although it was played to perfection at just under nine minutes (including Glenn's impression of a whale) we could have  had two more Glenn songs, from any point in his career (how about something off Black Sabbath's Seventh Star............oh controversial) the set list was a tad strange but I think it would have benefitted from being played in reverse, less widdly less solo's, looking at the description you might think it was a shit gig, it wasn't it was good but not a patch on the potential that it had, three really good musicians finding there feet, come back next year and it might just be "F***ING AWESOME! allegedly the sound downstairs wasn't the best but in the circle I didn't have any complaints.

Then came the obligatory meet and greet SMOR(in a nice way) being in the game wants to meet the people who he is friends with and works with, we again bumped into friends who we waited with while we waited for the gracious Mr Aldrich to turn up and take a heap of abuse from SMOR, we headed  out into the street only to be greeted by a huge wall of rain where the hell had this come from time was slipping away we had to say our fond farewells, not before cunning plans had been devised (watch this space) we drove back through the hills to Gimpsville and at some ridiculous time of night had a cup of tea and said thank you to our gracious host and his good lady!

The next morning I was up for the quarterly bloods that my life disease dictates that I must do, then off for a chest x ray as the Dr seems to think that I have a heart and not a swinging brick! back home to get ready for work but not before our cunning plan was put into place (Hotel booked for the end of January, its only a night away but I have the feeling the weekend has the potential to be fab) then off to the asylum to take charge of the inmates in what turned out to be national twat day as we were swamped with twats all over the site and it made my most hated shift into a long pain in the butt! the wife turned up to carry my weary body back to the home of our hearts (not) and then a quick rise and back to work for yet another day, thankfully one more and then nine days off to do nothing but small chores and long hours of butt scratching!

The only negative that has come out of this blog was a conversation with SMOR and for some reason that I was under the impression that the Electric boys supported 24/7spyz at Newcastle Riverside but SMOR corrected me and reminded me it was actually Stevie Salas and his Colorcode, which now leaves me scratching my head who the hell did the Electric Boys play with on that night way back in the 90's at the Riverside I'm sure somebody will remind me, I just remember being disappointed as they treated it like one big jamming session, which bored my drunk ass, I wanted to see this tight ass rock band, thankfully I saw them support Thunder at the City Hall and they were so damn good, and that brings this to a close hopefully not the misery fest that these seems to head down the road, life isn't perfect but I know I have so many good friends out there who are so damn supportive, I met a friend this morning at work who I know has been going through some rough times (much worse than me) I was happy to give him some much needed love (calm down) he is a really good guy, who hasn't got over the death of his father, hopefully I helped even if just a little, it does help if you can help somebody it costs nothing to be nice! so until the next time enjoy and spread (the blog far and wide remember to watch the skies........incoming!

Until then Toodles!  

No comments:

Post a Comment